Sunday, March 15, 2009

We Need to Raise Kids that are Smarter Than We Are

I don't know if anyone is monitoring this page any more, I sorta lost my edge. We will see how this goes.

I am not a doomsayer and I have not drunk the Kool-aid on anthropogenic climate change. The facts on sustainability are not in dispute though. Our working thinking has got to be that our children, when faced with problems that we created but can not / could not solve, will be able to solve them. Make sure they eat their fish while the oceans have fish to give us.

On that depressing theme Jorge Cham relates his recent visit to Canada. It is all pause for thought.


Click on image for larger view


Now, I would say this about that. I am a child of the 70's when the Cold War was hot and Alvin Toffler was the lead doomsayer that fed off our societal guilt about our profligate ways. There did not seem to be a solution to the population, pollution and political problems in the 70's as we marched to our inevitable nuclear holocaust. And yet, it turned, and we lived.

It all reminds me of those incredible verses from Joel and Jonah that express a hope and a sense of being unsure about future events (pretty rare in the Bible):

Joel 2:14 (NIV) 14 Who knows? He may turn and have pity and leave behind a blessing— grain offerings and drink offerings for the LORD your God.

Jonah 3:9 (NIV) 9 Who knows? God may yet relent and with compassion turn from his fierce anger so that we will not perish."

No comments: