Sunday, April 01, 2007

CH1023 Class Assignment



OK, we have just finished T3 and we pretty much have a straight run to the final exam (FXM). There will be a bit of solubility and a short chapter on thermodynamics. If time allows we will will get some electro chemistry. So all-in-all we should have a good feeling for the course now.

This class assignment is to nominate and vote for equations that you would like to be given on the final exam. You may nominate as many as you like but only one at a time and you must give a reason for your nomination. I will put UP TO TEN equations on the final exam depending on the class participation and vote. If no one participates and no one votes for an equation then I guess there will be no equations given but if twenty equations are nominated and all get equal votes then I will choose by lottery.

Just as at the end of last semester there will be two marks assigned for this assignment: a mark out of 10 for the final list (based on my assessment of the importance / utility / difficulty in remembering) and a mark out of 10 for the students individual participation.

So it is up to you. Start nominating and voting. This assignment will close at 12 midnight Sunday, April 15.

4 comments:

Crush said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Crush said...

I nominate the unit cell equations, these equations are simple, but easily confused and can be hard to remember. The equations are a=2r for scc; a= 4r/square root of 3 for bcc; and a = square root of 8r for fcc. There are three equations, but I believe they are simple and equivalent to one equation. They are good equations to use because it determines the relationship between the edge length (a) and the radius (r) of the unit cell.

Professor Honeydew said...

A student (who I shall call "MVP")sent me this message:

I nominate this equation from chapter 14:
ln k1/k2 = Ea/R ( T1-T2/ T1T2)

I think that this equation is useful because you can use this equation for a multiple of values and also it is a more difficult equation to remember so it will be helpful.

Professor Honeydew said...

This is the second time I have tried to post this comment emailed to me by a student I will refer to as "Soccrgrl". She said:

I would like to see the arrhenius equation, 14.10 ln k = ln A - Ea/RT because it is applicable to the rate of a reaction and is the more simple form making calculations simpler. Also, if there is room for more equations the quadratic equation would be nice to have, because in the panic of an exam it is easy to freeze and forget even cemented in information as I did on the last test. (<)T = Km (< being delta) could be beneficial as there are several situations in which this simple formula can be used as in bp elevation, fp depression and in electrolyte solutions with it's specific subscripts/modifications. If we're only allowed to submit one nomination I would go with the Arrhenius equation if it hasn't already been nominated.