Friday, February 23, 2007

Me, You and Wikipedia


I have been asked in a couple of my courses about my classification of the information that comes from Wikipedia. This is not an issue limited to my personal response to a tertiary reference source if you read the link below.

I respect Wikipedia for its accessibility, open community concept and GENERAL reliability but IT IS NOT AN APPROPRIATE ACADEMIC REFERENCE FOR UNIVERSITY work. It usually does give a good broad overview of a topic and more usefully provides links to more appropriate online sources. Therefore, in reports and papers in my courses wikipedia should not be in your reference list but it can appear in your bibliography.

Link to New York Times article on Wikipedia as an academic reference

This link was brought to my attention in a chemsitry blog that I monitor named "The Chem Blog".

No comments: