Sunday, September 03, 2006

Windows Journal for the Tablet PC

This semester I will be using a tablet PC to write my lecture notes in class instead of chalk as I have for the past 15 years. There are a number of reasons for this. I had reached the Brooker Limit for lecturing chemistry using a chalkboard and it was time for a change. Over the years a number of students noted that physically taking notes in my classes was so limiting that they did not really think about the material. This semester will be a test of that assertion because the lecture notes will be saved on the course webpage for student reference. Students that want to pay attention and not take notes will have access to a complete set as the course proceeds. So taking notes will be the students choice. That is partially dependent on my frustration level with the technology especially since the tablet PC will be useless if the projector does not work and I will be interested to note how much of my class will be taken up dealing with the technology. I have made a personal commitment on this but I can also see myself going back to chalk after I have lost a lecture or two. We will see.

Students that want to be able to read the lecture notes will need to install the free Windows Journal Viewer (follow link below).

LINK

2 comments:

Jean-Claude Bradley said...

I was hesitant before using a tabletPC for my organic chemistry classes (e.g. CHEM241 but after the first few classes I was extremely happy with it. It is better than a chalkboard or SMARTboard because you can face your students as you write. And of course you can give your students copies of your notes or record the lectures easily. As for Windows Journal Viewer, I didn't like it very much. A good alternative is PowerPoint 2003, which lets you draw on blank or preloaded slides. You can then save as ppt or publish as pdf, which will show up in iTunes if you podcast your notes.

Nas-T said...

Hopefully this experiment will last until biochemistry next term. If it does, I can save a bundle on looseleaf...