Friday, November 06, 2009

Stoichiometry

So today it was all about balance on the atomic level. The conservation laws that we learned about (that matter is not created or destroyed in a chemical reaction) has consequences for our lives. We are gifted with atoms that we organize into our bodies. But we do not own those atoms we simply borrow them for a while and then we have to give all our atoms back to the Universe so it can make stars and diamonds (or Backstreet Boys Reunion CDs for that matter) out of what we leave behind. The idea of "I" in your head cannot be simply reduced to the atoms in your body it is emergent from the complexity that you have created.

Just like in this cartoon ...

... except of course I do not believe that the complexity "is just gone" when I die. Just like the atoms were a gift so was the complexity and when I die I will surrender that complexity ... that "I" ... to the One who created me to do with as He wills. That is my faith.

No comments: