Thursday, August 07, 2008

Liberal Arts Science: Opposing the Darkness

Teaching Science in a liberal arts university one often loses a bit of perspective. The reality is that we as a society have to come to some sort of agreement as to what basic level of science knowledge is necessary for functional adults. This is especially true for educated adults since we live in a world largely defined by its relationship with the products of science and technology. That is why we have science requirements for arts students ... the question haw effective a single isolated science credit is in a fourty credit degree. I don't know but I would hope our students would avoid the problem demonstrated in this video. One might even hope that their religious studies courses would explain mystery.



What is endearing about the video below is the completely unashamed attitude that personal assertion is equal to truth.

3 comments:

Me said...

I think I saw this first on PZ Myers' blog... too funny!!! This is the sort of thing that makes me seriously wonder what society would be like if our social systems didn't interrupt Darwin's theory of natural selection.. hmm.. :)

Professor Honeydew said...

Yeah, I first saw it on the anti-Creationist blogs also. I don't know if Darwinism actually favours the educated intelligent part of a population as much as it favours the best breeders. As far as I can see it is not the educated part of society that are having children and passing on their genes.

Me said...

ha, good point... sad, but good.