Wednesday, June 04, 2008

I Have a Bad Case of Piles

I have always been a "clean desk" kinda guy. I have always believed in organization as a second religion and it is foundational to my day to day work as a professor. On the other hand I really did a "Jesus take the wheel" thing with the ABU Science Department this past year and I let a lot of things slide. That has resulted in several piles of paper on my desk next to the piles of textbooks I need to review for the fall semester courses. I hate piles of paper so i have been methodically plowing my way through them dividing them by priority and interest. At the bottom of one pile I found my 2006 - 2007 student evaluations.

Student evaluations have always been difficult for me. At no other time of my year am I brought so close to the question of why I am here at ABU. At Dalhousie, Saint Mary's and Memorial I had spectacular student evaluations that were always better than the departmental averages. But here at ABU it is very different. In fact, my evaluation numbers are all much worse than the ABU averages even on the question of organization and enthusiasm where I figure I should shine. I know all the rationalizations and explanations about why my evaluation numbers might be poor. But it still brings me back to what am I doing here if the students do not understand or appreciate the effort.

So I read my evaluations and they are pretty much the same as ever. There are some students that clearly "get" what I was trying to do and some other students that clearly hate me on an irrational level (disturbingly they are Science majours). The hate filled group are pretty easy to cope with because it is doubtful that I would be able to reach them anyway. But it is the continuing poor marks and negative comments by the middle group of student that cause me to pause. I guess I need to be more intentional in trying to reach that group of students. The problem is that I feel the issue may not be me so much as the content of the courses that I teach. I have a very clear understanding of the necessary content of my courses and I can't change that without making ABU chemistry courses non-transferable. I don't know, sometimes I just don't know.

And so, I deeply appreciate on a different level the kindness of several students for a card they gave me last fall. At moments like these it really helps. Thanks again.

1 comment:

amandadawn said...

Hi Dr Mel - I don`t know you at all, but, I have taken an interest in reading your blog since my boyfriend started in your class in September... I`ve taken such an interest because of the fire you`ve put in him for school. After taking two years off from school, he decided to go back because I pushed him to do such. And then he met you, and is taking a class with you, and is intrigued by your humour, and your ability to teach, and the way you get him interested in the topic.
More importantly, for me, is that you`ve shown him what it`s like to be a Christian and a scientist. He faced lots of flack when he decided to come to ABU instead of Dalhousie, after being accepted to both. People kept telling him it isn`t a real school. After his first day of class with you, he was telling everyone that would listen what you had said... (I'm paraphrasing and probably have this wrong) about how could Christianity and Science co-exist? And that you weren't there to teach the belief but rather to teach the concepts and let people come up with the facts themselves.
So, from a student at ABU that has never even been your student, I want to sincerely thank you for the contribution you've made to the ABU community.